Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Top Eighteen Competition AND Results

Well, folks, here we are again. Last week we said goodbye to Ariana and Brandon before we even had a chance to get to know them. Such is life. This week, the top 18 become the top 16. Once again, the judges will pick the bottom four and send two home tonight. Next week, after the Phillies become World Champions once again, we return to the regular format and pick America’s favorite dancer…instead of the judge’s favorite dancer.

I like the new intros. Did I say that last week? Oh well. I like the competitive style they have going.

Why is Cat wearing a nude nighty? I think she was going for the same style Mary was but Mary pulled it off way better.

Nigel announces that Billy (who was supposed to be top 20 but then got mono) and Brandon (who replaced Billy but was kicked after the first week of competition) get to come back next season. Duh. It’s only good publicity.

On with the dancing. Because that’s really why we’re all here, right?

Couple One: Krumper Russell with contemporary dancer Noelle
Hip hop with Jamal
First thing I noticed right off the bat was their expressions. Spot-on. And, yes, that can be difficult for people. The choreography was awesome and creative (see, FOX? It’s not always just about Tabitha and Napoleon). And Russell danced well, which was a given. Keeping him in his genre after almost going home last week was a smart move, as he’s an early favorite for lots of fans. But Noelle…oh, Noelle. She started off well, but I don’t care what Mary thinks, it was completely obvious her knee was killing her. Her aerial was awful. I can’t tumble to save my life, and I could have done that. And that makes me sad for her, but yeah, she needs to go, if only for her own health. Why stay in the competition if you’ll need a knee replacement at 30?

Couple Two: Latin ballroom dancer Ashleigh and contemporary dancer Jakob
Viennese Waltz with Tony and Melanie
Hey, choreographers. Stop putting full-on kisses in the dances. That doesn’t take dance talent. It was hot when Mia choreographed it, dull when Travis choreographed it (although there are rumors Jeanine and Jason improvised that bit…) and completely chemistry-less tonight. Probably because she’s married or something. Anyways, I thought the dancing tonight was awesome. Good jete from Jakob, great lifts at the end. And yes, Ashleigh proved herself, darn it. I hate being wrong. Also, Adam, just waltzing is boring. The stunts made this the only Viennese Waltz I’ve ever enjoyed.

Couple Three: Tap dancer Bianca and contemporary dancer Victor
Broadway with Tyce
All right, I wasn’t wowed by this. And thanks again to Adam for putting into words the reasons why. I did manage to nitpick some technique things that the judges didn’t talk about. I do feel like Bianca started off really “losing it” (in that good way), but then they started thinking too much. The choreography was a little slow to start, and then when it picked up the timing was off. And I think it threw them off dancing barefoot-his pirouettes and leaps especially were a bit awkward. Awkward’s a good word for this whole dance, actually. I was disappointed. Sad, since last week they were so incredible.

Couple Four: contemporary dancer Nathan and jazz dancer Mollee
Bollywood with Nakul
Hey judges…maybe it only looks like Mollee’s calming down because you keep giving her such peppy styles. I mean, I love her, but the hyper-ness is still there-in a good way, for now. Not looking forward to when she has to do a slower style. Anyways, they were both really good tonight. Nathan had awesome tricks at the beginning and incredible turn control (and yes, I had written that down before Nigel said it). I think her more subtle movements could have been a bit sharper, but what do I know? Great job from both, though.

Couple Five: contemporary dancer Channing and tap dancer Phillip
Samba with Tony and Melanie
First, it’s really hard for me to critique ballroom, seeing as how I know nothing about it, but whatever. My first thought was “why is her hair so big?” For once, I thought the footwork and such was really on but the lifts and stunts were where they struggled. The first one was flawless, but the second big one they definitely had trouble getting into. It definitely ended well, but you could see her nerves after that. Hey, did anyone else notice that only one or two people booed after Mary said Phillip was holding Channing back? Interesting. And I see Nigel is back to being super creepy. Anyways, the ending was cool and this was definitely better than last week.

Couple Six: ballroom dancer Karen and hip hop dancer Kevin
Hip hop with Tabitha and Napoleon
Come on, show. Can’t you come up with nine different styles of dance? No? Because I can. And I see Tabitha and Napoleon are breaking out the props again (aren’t they the ones who chained two dancer together at the ankle last season?) I did love the choreography, though. Minus the bits where they were pretty much having sex on stage. And they danced it so well! Both of them! And Karen’s back on the hot tamale train. And Kevin is joining her. Shut up, Mary. NO ONE CARES.

And this is the point in the show when I saw the ridiculous flowers on Cat’s shoes. Oh goodness.

Couple Seven: contemporary/lyrical dancer Kathryn and b-boy Legacy
Contemporary with Stacey
I like her dress! And no, that has nothing to do with the dancing, but it’s TRUE. I really liked this, and it reminded me of Mia’s addiction piece last season (Oh, Mia. I miss you.) Kathryn’s extensions were brilliant and their stunts were incredibly smooth. I totally forgot Legacy was a b-boy. He was dancing like a contemporary dancer! And they were dancing with so much emotion, and not just on their faces. I think this is the kind of piece that would have really affected me if I’d seen it in person (like the judges), and I wish I had, or that it had translated better on television. But it was really, really amazing.

Couple Eight: jazz dancer Pauline and tap dancer Peter
Jazz with Wade
OK. This is our new couple of the week, and that makes it tricky to judge. I do like the concept, but maybe not the way it was carried out. They looked happy to me when I thought it was supposed to be more angry, but then I realized it could have been an evil look they were going for. Who knows. They were really together the whole time, but it wasn’t a horribly difficult routine. The moving background was distracting. I appreciate that it had to jumble up at that one part-but the constant spinning was driving me nuts. Anyways, great concept, so-so execution.

Couple Nine: ballroom dancer Ryan and jazz dancer Ellenore
Argentine tango with Miriam and Leonardo
Yay, I liked this one! I always like it when they close with good pieces. All I have written down is the word “awesome” four times, each followed by another word (those words are drop, flexibility, footwork and lift, if you’re wondering). The footwork in particular was incredibly graceful, from both. And I didn’t even notice the dress caught on the shoe, though in watching replays, it was pretty obvious. So that was probably my own exhaustion. But yes! These two are on a roll.

My bottom four:
Girls:
Noelle and Bianca
Boys:
Victor and Phillip

I am so freaking smart I amaze myself sometimes. As soon as he called those three couples forward, I knew I was right. And of course they all pull off AWESOME solos. (That, Noelle, is how you do an aerial). I’m really glad I’m not a judge.

Crap. No. Wrong. Bad call, judges. Noelle really needs to go for all the reasons I said above during her duet. But as sad as it makes me to see two tappers kicked off, they did choose the right guy. Victor was better last week. But oh man, I cannot wait for voting to start next week. The bias is killing me.

Well, folks, that’s where this leaves us. Our new couple is Victor and Channing…I don’t see this going well, except that they’re both contemporary dancers. I suppose we’ll see.

Until next week…Go Phillies.

1 comment:

  1. you crack me up. and, I do believe I am catching on to this dance stuff. Agreed with everything you said. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete